This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


IMPORTANT: Please can all adult patients wear their own face mask or face covering when attending the surgery in person.  These can help us protect each other and reduce the spread of this disease.  Please do not buy surgical masks which should be prioritised for the NHS.  Thank you

WE ARE NOW A RESEARCH PRACTICE!  Do you want to help with medical/healthcare related research?  We are taking part in a Covid19 Clinical Trials research and a healthcare data project called The CLIMB Survey.  Clink on the links for further information or the relevant tabs on the right -->

Visitors from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

If you are here for less than 3 months you are not able to register with us, but we can see you (affiliation criteria still needs to be met - see Eligibility to Register tab for details) for free primary care (GP) if your treatment is immediately necessary.

If you are here for more than 3 months you are eligible for free primary care and free secondary care (hospital) and are able to register fully with us (as long as you are also residing within our practice boundary (click here to view)

European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC), Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) and S1 Forms

To access free NHS treatment within primary care, you will need to hold one of the following and will need to present it to us prior to being seen; 

  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)**
  • Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) 
  • S1 form 

**EHIC Scheme Countries; Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland 

EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance.  It will not cover any private medical healthcare, being flown back home, or lost/stolen property.  Therefore you are strongly advised to have both an EHIC and private travel insurance.

Visitors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)

NHS - Moving to England from outside the EEA

  • If you are here for less than 6 months, you can see a doctor/nurse (primary care) for free treatment which is deemed immediately necessary (something that cannot wait until you return home).  You may however, need to cover the cost of prescriptions, tests, investigations yourself. (Affiliation criteria still needs to be met - see Eligibility to Register tab for details)
  • If you needed to see a doctor or nurse at the UEA Medical Centre, please speak to our reception staff.  Please advise them of your reason you need to see someone so they can best deal with your concern and put you into the appropriate clinic.
  • Having your own medical and travel insurance is strongly advised when coming to the UK. If you are here for less than 6 months, secondary care (hospital) is not free.
  • If you are here for more than 6 months you can fully register with us.  Please note, being registered with us does not automatically entitle you to free secondary care (hospital) as they hold different thresholds for charging. 

If you are from overseas, we will need to see proof of residency to verify your stay in the UK (Passport/BRP/Visa) and your affiliation with the UEA by means of campus card/offer letter.

For further information on Healthcare and Entitlements for Overseas visitors, please visit;

All Overseas Visitors - Medical/Travel Insurance

Having your own medical and travel insurance is strongly advised when coming to the UK, and this should be appropriate to your needs, relevant to your duration of stay in the UK and obtained prior to coming.  

If you are here for less than 6 months, secondary care (hospital) is not free, but even if you are here for more than 6 months there are different thresholds and time frames for charging for secondary care so you should ensure you are adequately covered for your duration of stay in the UK.  

We cannot comment or recommend insurance providers - you would need to investigate and source this in your home country.  If you are coming to study at the UEA, there should be further information about this in your UEA joining instructions. 

Last updated: 13.07.2020

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website