Are you Eligible to Register?

To be eligible to register at the UEA Medical Centre you must meet the following 3 criteria:
  • You must have an affiliation with the university or research park (see below)
  • You must be entitled to NHS Care (see below)
  • Your Norwich address is within our practice boundary (click here to view)

Our NHS contract requires us to provide home visits to all patients registered with us.  If you live outside our boundary, we are not able to provide this service, therefore you will need to register with a GP closer to where you live.  Visit NHS Choices - find a GP to search. 

Accepted Affiliations with the University or Research Park

  • University student or staff member
  • An employee of the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital or organisation in the Norwich Research Park
  • A contractor who is contracted to provide services for the university, research parks or NNUH hospital 
  • A person co-habiting at the same address as someone in the above 3 criteria (who must already be a registered patient) 
  • Ex-patients wishing to re-register within 5 years of leaving the practice list

Are you Eligible for NHS care?


The NHS operates a residence-based healthcare system. 

Most NHS services are free to people who are ordinarily resident in the UK. 

Generally, NHS care is free for those;

  • ordinarily resident in the UK (which means living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being)
  • insured by an EEA member state with a valid EHIC or S1 form
  • covered under the Immigration Health Charge 
  • exempt in law eg; refugees, asylum seekers, victims of modern slavery, people covered under reciprocal healthcare agreements with the UK   

Even if you are ordinarily resident here or are generally exempt from charge for your NHS care, some NHS services are not free such as prescriptions, opticians and dentistry.  

What do you need to Register?

National Health Service (NHS) Number 

Your NHS number is unique to you and shows you are registered as a patient of your present doctor. If you do not know your NHS number, please contact your current GP surgery to obtain this as you will need it to register.  (If you are from overseas, then you will not have an NHS number so please ignore this)

Medical History & Serious Illness or On-going Treatment

If you have had a serious illness, if you are currently undergoing medical treatment or hospital investigation, or if you are currently taking medication, then a brief doctor's letter (in English) summarising your medical history, will help the Medical Centre to provide you with uninterrupted health care. 


Bring enough medication to last you the 2-3 months at university until you have seen a doctor at the medical centre. 

Medical Insurance (overseas students)

Details of your medical insurance to cover general practice, specialist and hospital care if your stay in the UK is less than 6 months (unless you are from the EU or a country with reciprocal health care agreements with the UK) and you will not be eligible for free NHS care.

International Students

Bring with you (if required) your UK Foreign Commonwealth Office (UK FCO) Visa Tuberculosis Screening Certificate.

Last updated: 21.09.2021

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website