Are you Eligible to Register?
To be eligible to register at the UEA Medical Centre you must meet the following 3 criteria:
- You must have an affiliation with the university or research park (see below)
- You must be entitled to NHS Care (see below)
- Your Norwich address is within our practice boundary (click here to view)
Our NHS contract requires us to provide home visits to all patients registered with us. If you live outside our boundary, we are not able to provide this service, therefore you will need to register with a GP closer to where you live. Visit NHS Choices - find a GP to search.
Accepted Affiliations with the University or Research Park
- A student or staff member at the University of East Anglia
- An employee of the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital or organisation in the Norwich Research Park
- A contractor who is contracted to provide services for the university, research parks or hospital
- A person co-habiting at the same address as someone in the above 3 criteria
- Ex-patients wishing to re-register within 5 years of leaving the practice list
Are you Eligible for NHS care?
Students need to register at the UEA Medical Centre in order to access NHS General Practitioner care but not all students are eligible for NHS care so not all students can register.
Free treatment is mainly based on RESIDENCY, not on nationality.
European Union (EU) visitors (including ex UK citizens)
- If you are at the UEA for less than 3 months you are not able to register with us, but we can see you for free primary care if your treatment is immediately necessary.
- If you are at the UEA for more than 3 months you are eligible for free primary care (GP) and free secondary care (hospital) and are able to register with us.
Other overseas visitors
- If you are at the UEA for less than 6 months, you are not eligible for free primary care (GP) or secondary care (hospital). You would need to cover the cost of any treatment yourself.
- If you needed to see a doctor or nurse at the UEA Medical Centre, you would have to pay privately **£30 for a doctor and **£15 for a nurse and claim it back from your insurance if able to. Ask the medical centre receptionists for a stamped receipt for proof of payment.
- If you are at the UEA for more than 6 months you are eligible for free primary care (GP) and free secondary care (hospital) therefore you are able to register with us.
If you are from overseas, we will need to see proof of residency to verify your stay in the UK and at the UEA by means of your VISA (if applicable) and campus card/offer letter.
*Includes immediately necessary maternity care (not all maternity care covered) and some services that can not wait until you return home
**Prices correct as of January 2017 – may be subject to change without notice
For further information on Healthcare and Entitlements for Overseas visitors, please visit; www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1086.aspx?categoryid=68